Whether it be your leadership skills, your ability to work with people or your creative talents, you need to use the right language to convey your credentials. Use active words like these to give your resume a powerful punch:
Need Money to Pay for College?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants, and internships, for which they actually qualify. You'll find high value scholarships like VIP Voice's $5,000 Scholarship, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship, and internships with companies like Apple, Google, Dreamworks, and even NASA!
Join today to get matched to scholarships or internships for you!
Categorized List of Action Verbs
Categorized List of Action Verbs
This categorized list contains only a few action verbs you can use to compose concise, persuasive, reader-centered resumes, cover letters, or other types of workplace documents. The examples are illustrations that overview the uses of action verbs in professional writing.
The link above takes you to a sample resume containing action verbs.
- Negotiated price reductions of up to 30% with key suppliers
- Interpreted financial information from the company's annual report
- Translated all relevant company information into three different languages
Other words: Advocated, Clarified, Corresponded, Encouraged, Interpreted, Negotiated, Persuaded, Presented, Publicized, Solicited, Spoke, Translated
- Created an interior design layout for a 500 square foot retail venue
- Introduced a new method of navigating through the A Software Program
- Presented a new research project to the managers at the location
Other words: Acted, Applied, Composed, Created, Established, Founded, Improvised, Introduced, Navigated, Originated, Presented
Data / Financial Skills
- Computed and recorded inventory valuation on a monthly basis
- Documented inventory counts at the end of each working day
- Verified the amount owed to the creditor in the Accounts Payable account
Other words: Adjusted, Allocated, Budgeted, Compared, Computed, Counted, Documented, Estimated, Forecasted, Inventoried, Invested, Predicted, Projected, Quantified, Recorded, Retrieved, Verified
- Assisted customers with choosing appropriate products
- Trained new employees in the plant through demonstration techniques
- Volunteered in the nursing home every weekend to serve the community
Other words: Aided, Assisted, Built, Demonstrated, Facilitated, Familiarized, Helped, Performed, Represented, Solved, Supported, Trained, Upheld, Volunteered, Worked
Management / Leadership Skills
- Administered a variety of surveys to collect data about the employees
- Implemented a safety communication program to promote safety awareness
- Recommended an alternative solution to one of the company's problems
Other words: Achieved, Administered, Assigned, Attained, Challenged, Coordinated, Decided, Delegated, Established, Executed, Handled, Headed, Implemented, Incorporated, Intervened, Launched, Led, Managed, Mediated, Motivated, Organized, Oversaw, Planned, Prioritized, Recommended, Scheduled, Supervised, United
- Eliminated unnecessary cost of each unit of production
- Maximized profits by 15% during the month of July
- Heightened the level of employee moral through program incentives
Other words: Accelerated, Allocated, Boosted, Centralized, Downsized, Edited, Eliminated, Enhanced, Expanded, Expedited, Heightened, Lessened, Leveraged, Maximized, Merged, Optimized, Outlined, Outsourced, Prevented, Prioritized, Reorganized, Reduced, Revised, Simplified, Standardized, Stream-lined, Synthesized, Systematized, Upgraded
- Examined a new mechanism that may reduce sickness on the campus
- Identified a major defect in a microscopic organism last month
- Surveyed a group of Purdue students with regard to Product A
Other words: Analyzed, Collected, Compared, Controlled, Detected, Diagnosed, Evaluated, Examined, Gathered, Identified, Investigated, Located, Measured, Organized, Reported, Replicated, Researched, Reviewed, Searched, Surveyed, Wrote
- Defined a new product strategy and discussed how it would be implemented
- Instructed Department B on how to reduce inventory and raise net sales
- Prepared a tutorial manual for an English class last semester
Other words: Aided, Advised, Clarified, Communicated, Defined, Developed, Encouraged, Evaluated, Facilitated, Fostered, Guided, Helped, Incorporated, Informed, Initiated, Instructed, Lectured, Prepared, Supported, Supervised, Stimulated, Taught
- Assembled an entire computer programming simulation for my CPT course
- Designed a new form of Widget C for a manufacturing facility
- Programmed three new computer programs tailored for a network system
Other words: Analyzed, Assembled, Built, Calculated, Computed, Conducted, Designed, Devised, Engineered, Maintained, Operated, Programmed, Reengineered, Remodeled, Transmitted
Rosalie Maggio, How to Say It, Webster's Thesaurus.