Third Claim Paragaph
Starting Sentence Option 1:
One [government/academic/scientific/statistical] [researcher/expert] on the issue of poverty found that [insert direct quote from a researcher or expert on poverty to support your thesis.]
Starting Sentence Option 2:
An expert in the field of [government/academic/scientific/statistical] has concluded that poverty [is/is not] a serious problem is because it [insert direct quote from a researcher or expert on poverty to support your thesis.]
Experts with a variety of perspectives on poverty can be found in the following arenas:
- Statistics from government reports
- The definition of poverty according to the various institutions
- Social commentary provided by experts
- Moral and ethical perspectives from academics and philosophers
- Personal testimony from people who live with poverty
Common claims for poverty intervention:
- Poverty in the USA is a serious problem that affects millions and needs immediate intervention on our part.
- Poverty is a social problem that affects many people throughout the world and the USA
- Poverty is widespread and more common than we think, it needs our intervention
- Poverty can have long term psychological effects on the children
Common claims against intervention for poverty:
- Poverty is not a problem of regular citizens and should be taken care of by the government
- Poverty is a choice that people make who are lazy and don't want to change.
- Poverty is the problem of a very small number of people in our society and we should not be concerned.
- The poverty problem in the USA is overstated and exaggerated.
- Poverty is a state of mind
Poverty essays – find seven interesting topics to write about
When you are trying to work on a good poverty essay, the first thing that poses a challenge is the selection of a topic. It is therefore important to understand that without a good topic, your essay could fall flat. It is also necessary to remember that though you should bring out the facts and leave nothing out, it is necessary to be sensitive when handling such an issue as poverty. It is one of the most terrible ills of society that need to be viewed seriously and handled with care.
Here are seven topics that you could use for your essay on poverty
1/- Poverty & Human Conflict. In most situations, poverty is born out of unresolved human conflict. The reasons for these conflicts might be many. Most of the time it is a case of too little resources for too many people. Discuss this in your essay and approach us for help, should you need more info.
2/- Poverty of the mind. This is a topic that has a philosophical touch. There are quite a few people who do not bestow rich thoughts towards their fellow human beings – they could be considered impoverished. In fact, you could write a series of poverty essays with this topic as the base.
3/- Is poverty a by-product of terrorism? If one were to visit the areas that are in the stranglehold of religious fundamentalists turned terrorists, it would be apparent that there is a strong link between poverty and terrorism. Check this out in your essay.
4/- Children – the victims of poverty. When you are learning how to write an essay on poverty, focusing on the plight of hapless children, is quite natural. Take the example of those abandoned by their parents because of the inability to feed and clothe them. You could also include the work done by various aid organizations in alleviating their sufferings.
5/- Poverty and crime. The nexus is clear and simple – crime rates are high in societies living below the poverty line in a country. Explain the causes and effects of this relationship and suggest a few workable solutions to this universal problem.
6/- The poor student. In many educational institutions today there are many students who apply for grants and scholarship because of their economic status and difficulties. Your poverty essay could focus on the efforts taken by colleges and universities to make education available to all.
7/- Poverty and Prejudice. Prejudice on the basis of caste, creed and colour seem to be part of our society’s ills, in spite of the technological advancements that have been made in the recent past. Your essay could talk about the connections between poverty and various forms of prejudice and how people from a lower economic strata, face the ire of those who are better off.
As mentioned earlier, all these poverty essays need to be written with that extra dose of sensitivity. You need to take into consideration the people you are focusing on and the readers who will be going through your essay. Do get in touch with us if you need more topics to work on.